Saturday, August 1, 2015

FROM THE HEART OF THE AMERICAN BALD EAGLE



From the Heart of the American Bald Eagle

Their eyes look to me for sustenance
Their souls follow mine into the night
Their fear hidden, the secret of their
Pain that dares not cross their lips
For them to soar I must grapple
In a dance for eternity and never lose
But never win just keep my soul
From giving in.

I feel the surge within their hearts
And deep within the very earth beneath our world.
In every schoolchild’s song, in every
Writer’s pen, every artist’s brush stroke
In every musician’s note, in every
Mother’s breast and father’s stride.
There’s nowhere to hide.

I cannot run, and would not even
If the choice was mine to make.
I stand with those I cherish, those
Who stand with me, fly with me,
Claim freedom with me.

And though my mind says fly away
And save myself and soar into the trees
And let them battle for themselves, they’re
Strong enough and I am so, so tired
My heart says come back
To them and help their souls to
Restore peace and their
Consciences to mend.

There is no sunlight on my face to
Make me know that good is in my
Heart but I feel it there, it
Warms me in the desperate hours
Of the gloom when dark is thick
And promises doom.

As long as I draw breath and flap
A wing those I cherish will survive
And keep careful watch as I have
Done so that the evil demons
Will not our souls overrun.

10/10/10

This was originally written for Owl's Eye View Magazine, from the Owl Crone’s point of view, because she is about to battle evil for her beloved town of Owl’s Nest. However, it occurred to me that this could be from the viewpoint of the American Bald Eagle. - LG 8/1/2015


No comments:

Post a Comment